Baby dies after ingesting laundry detergent pod – CNN.com


(CNN) — A 7-month-old boy died in a Florida hospital after eating a laundry detergent pod, officials confirmed, although they have not said whether the detergent caused the boy’s death.

An investigation into the August 9 death is ongoing, said Terri Durdaller with the Florida Department of Children and Families.

The department has had a “prior history with this family,” Durdaller said, declining to elaborate. The Orlando Sentinel reports the mother and child were in a battered women’s shelter at the time of the incident.

There are no known documented cases of children dying from laundry detergent packets, said Dr. Cynthia Lewis-Younger, medical director for the Florida Poison Information Center.

Lewis-Younger would not confirm the baby, whom the Orlando newspaper identified as Michael Williams, had died as a direct result of consuming the pod.

via Baby dies after ingesting laundry detergent pod – CNN.com.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s